Founded in 2012 by people who have had their lives changed by the dietary guidance of the doctors and their books cited here, NuSci Nutrition Science Foundation is a nonprofit --IRS 501(c)(3)-- organization that has a four-fold mission:
- Identify the most solid scientific evidence about the relationship between nutrition and health.
- Communicate these findings to individuals, health organizations, schools, food manufacturers, and food stores.
- Assist healthy eating through publishing a NuSci diet compliant list of food products and allowing food manufacturers and restaurants to print the NuSci trust mark on their compliant products.
- Assist healthy eating by maintaining a wiki of NuSci diet compliant recipes and meal plans.
Why Does NuSci Exist?
One half of men and one third of women in U.S. will suffer heart disease. Needlessly.
“By any number of measures, America’s health is failing. We spend far more, per capita, on health care than any other society in the world, and yet two thirds of Americans are overweight, and over 15 million Americans have diabetes, a number that has been rising rapidly. We fall prey to heart disease as often as we did thirty years ago, and the War on Cancer, launched in the 1970s, has been a miserable failure. Half of Americans have a health problem that requires taking a prescription drug every week, an over 100 million Americans have high cholesterol.” (Campbell, The China Study, 2006, p3.)
A change of diet can save lives through disease prevention and reversal.
“The benefits produced by eating a plant-based diet are far more diverse and impressive than any drug or surgery used in medical practice. Heart diseases, cancers, diabetes, stroke and hypertension, arthritis, cataracts, Alzheimer’s disease, impotence and all sorts of other chronic diseases can be largely prevented. These diseases, which generally occur with aging and tissue degeneration, kill the majority of us before our time. Additionally, impressive evidence now exists to show that advanced heart disease, relatively advanced cancers of certain types, diabetes and a few other degenerative diseases can be reversed by diet.” (Campbell, The China Study, 2006, p22-23.)
Not all disease is scientifically linked to diet, but the diseases Campbell mentions account for well over half of all deaths from any cause in the United States every year, and the medical establishment’s treatment of people suffering from these diseases consumes a vast proportion of the nation’s annual medical budget. While the US is spending an ever greater proportion of its GDP on medical care, outcomes and mortality rates are not improving, and compared to other nations that spend far less, health outcomes are worse.
So NuSci came into being to address the tragic loss of human life, needless human suffering, and the incredible waste of resources caused by a lack of awareness of the habits and diet choices that are killing people and making them sick. NuSci does this through education, advocacy and training about nutrition based in the latest scientific studies.
Why Trust NuSci?
Much of the information we receive daily is from individuals and organizations that have significant incentives to shade the truth, omit crucial facts, or flat out lie to you in order to gain financially. Our goal is to establish NuSci as a trusted organization - one that will sift though large amounts of flawed, confusing, and conflicting claims to identify the objective truth. We have set up NuSci from the beginning to limit our funding pathways so that we can maintain our objectivity.
We will not accept funding from:
- Companies that manufacture or sell food products, supplements, or pharmaceuticals. This prohibition includes grocery stores, health food stores, and other stores that could potentially benefit from selling unhealthy products.
- Restaurants that could potentially benefit from selling unhealthy food.
- Doctors, clinics, and hospitials that could potentially benefit from providing unnecessary or dangerous medical procedures or drugs. (See HMOs below.)
- Authors, book stores and others who could benefit from selling books, videos, etc. that may be untruthful or harmful.
We will accept funding from:
- Individuals not affiliated with any of the above organizations.
- Companies not affiliated with any of the above organizations.
- Health maintenance organizations that benefit from healthier patients.